- In the United States, a home burglary takes place every 14 seconds.
- The most popular items taken are jewelry, watches, guns, laptop computers, DVD players, and other small appliances.
- The average cost of goods taken during a home burglary: $1,864.
- The average amount of time a burglar was in a home: 6 minutes.
- A survey conducted at Temple University in Pennsylvania showed that 81% of residential burglaries occurred on the first floor of the building. Thirty-four percent (34%) of the intruders entered through the front door; 23% through a first floor window; 22% through the back door; 9% through the garage; 4% through the basement; 4% through an unlocked entrance; 2% through a storage area; and only 2% entered anywhere on the second floor.
- Homes without security systems, are about 3 times more likely to be broken into, than homes with security.